Congrats to MatchaFam Alex Kelikian (@aprettykitchen) for being one of the winners of our #MayIs4Matcha Baking Challenge! Taste the winning baked donut recipe below:
- 1 cup flour (All-Purpose or King Arthur gluten free All-Purpose flour work great here)
- 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of matcha powder
- 4 tablespoons organic cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (or neutral oil of your choice - coconut and grapeseed also work well)
- 1/4 cup whole, oat, almond, or coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and Matcha in a large bowl.
- Mix the egg, oil, milk, vanilla and banana (mashed) in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined - do not over-mix.
- Drop into donut pan with a spoon (lightly spray with canola oil, coconut oil or butter beforehand). I pour the batter into a pastry bag, snip off the bottom and pipe it into the pan. It’s less messier this way! This also works with a ziploc.
- Bake for 12 minutes until cooked and let them cool before *completely* before icing them.
- 2 tablespoons whole, oat, almond, or coconut milk (whichever milk your heart desires! Try to use the same that you used in the donut recipe)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of matcha powder
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest, grated on a microplane
- Mix your milk, powdered sugar, and Matcha until smooth - it should be thick.
- Add in your lemon zest and spoon over your cooled donuts!