This light, fluffy sponge cake roll is perfect for every occasion!
Cake Roll Ingredients:
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp culinary matcha
- 1/2 cup sugar (separated)
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- Powdered sugar (optional)
Strawberry Cream Filling Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- Sliced strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and line a 15" x 10" jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites into two bowls. Store the egg whites in the fridge and the egg yolks at room temperature.
- Combine and sift the cake flour, baking powder, and culinary matcha until well mixed in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, add the egg yolks and mix.
- Add half of the sugar (1/4 cup) and whisk until the egg mixture becomes double in volume.
- Add the cold egg whites into a separate large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until foamy.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar and beat until stiff peaks form and egg whites are glossy.
- Gently whisk in 1/3 of the egg whites to the egg yolk mixture until incorporated in the batter.
- Add the mixture back into the egg whites. Gently fold in egg whites with a silicone spatula.
- Add the dry ingredients by folding in gently until incorporated. Be careful not to over-mix! This will cause the cake to be dense instead of being light and fluffy.
- Microwave the milk until warm and add until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly.
- Remove any air bubbles by tapping the pan a few times. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place a sheet of parchment paper and a baking sheet on top.
- Wearing oven mitts, carefully flip over the baking sheet to reveal the cake.
- Gently remove the parchment paper and place a new sheet of parchment paper and baking sheet on top.
- Hold both baking sheets and flip the cake so that the brown side is facing up and then remove the parchment paper.
- Remove the baking sheet. Diagonally slice off one side of the cake on a cutting board.
- While the cake is still warm, use your hands to slowly roll the cake on the parchment paper. Once rolled, transfer to a wire rack.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let it cool completely.
- When the cake is cool, combine the heavy cream and sugar in a large bowl.
- Beat until firm and spreadable.
- Add in the sliced strawberries and mix.
- Transfer the roll to a flat surface and unroll the cake but still keep the parchment paper.
- Using an offset spatula, spread the strawberry cream mixture evenly over the cake.
- Carefully but tightly re-roll the cake and secure it by twisting the parchment paper at both ends (like a candy wrapper).
- Chill for at least 2 hours in the fridge to firm up the cream.
- Unwrap the parchment paper and slice about 1/2 inch of the cake on both ends to reveal the swirl. Sift powdered sugar on top. Slice and serve!
Recipe adapted from Just One Cookbook